Published On: Mon, Jan 6th, 2014

Mother And Daughter Die In Bali After Trying A Fish ‘Treat’ Meal

A MOTHER and her 14-year-old daughter who died within hours of arriving on the holiday island of Bali had eaten a fish meal as their first ‘treat’, it was learned last night.

Mother And Daughter Die In Bali After Trying A Fish 'Treat' Meal

The 54-year-old woman and her 14-year-old daughter were said by police to have died after falling ill in the early hours of Saturday morning. Pic: Daily Mail

Noelene Bischoff, 54, and her daughter Yvana, from Queensland, had booked into a resort in the east of the island and then set off for a meal in the hillside town of Ubud.

There were no immediate reports of anyone else who was staying at the Padang Bai Beach Resort in the Karangasem district falling ill.

Police said mother and daughter, from Queensland, Australia, had checked in on Friday, but in the early hours of Saturday the daughter raised the alarm.

Mrs Bischoff’s brother-in-law, Kevin Bowe, told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation last night that a government report suggested mother and daughter had died from eating fish in Ubud.

‘On the news this morning they said something different’ – a reference to suggestions the couple might have died from an allergy – ‘but we’ve been told it is fish they’ve eaten.

‘We are sticking to that at the moment. That was the report from DFAT (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade).’

Sydney’s Sunday Telegraph said today that it was understood from sources that at 1.15am on Saturday the daughter begged for help from hotel security, saying she and her mother were ill.

Arrangements were made to take the mother to a nearby medical clinic, said the paper, and the daughter was taken by ambulance on the road to the Bali International Medical Clinic in the island’s capital, Denpasar.

But both died in ambulances on the way to the separate clinics, police and clinic staff told the paper.

The manager of the restaurant in Ubud where the pair had dinner shortly before falling ill has denied to the ABC that the food served there was to blame for the deaths.

Mr Giovanni Bareato told the broadcaster that the restaurant was full of clients eating similar dishes to the ones Mrs Bishcoff and her daughter had ordered and he had not heard of anyone complaining about feeling ill.

‘The cause of death could be a food allergy,’ he said.

Mr Bowe said mother and daughter often went on holidays together and had just arrived in Bali for a two week holiday.

Mrs Bischoff worked as a nurse at the Caloundra Hospital, on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast, and she had cared for her elderly mother while raising her daughter as a single parent.

The family, he said, had given permission for post mortem examinations to be carried out so the cause of death can be confirmed.

The mother was found to have died in the ambulance on the way to the Penta Medica Clinic in Karangasem at about 1.30am, said Mr Putu Darsana, the clinic’s manager.

The paper said it had been told by police sources that the two women may have suffered a ‘food allergy’ which led to their deaths only hours after checking in to their hotel.

Medicines from Australia found in their hotel room have been sent to a laboratory, while post-mortem examinations on mother and daughter have yet to be carried out to establish the exact cause of death.

The autopsies are not expected to be performed until Monday.

Resort manager Vanni Bareato told The Sunday Mail the mother and daughter had spent the evening in Ubud before returning to the hotel at 8pm.

Five hours later, Yvana was begging security staff for help, saying both she and her mother were ill in their room.

The manager followed the teenager to hospital and told her not to worry but when he returned to the resort to collect their passports he received a phone call telling him the mother had died and her daughter had taken a turn for the worse.

She died a short time later.

‘We run a small resort of 30 people and this has never happened,” Mr Bareato told the paper. ‘You cannot be prepared for something like this. It’s unbelievable.’

Grasienne Bischoff, Noelene’s niece and Yvana’s cousin, said the family was in shock and the pair had been very close.

Police in Australia said the family had asked for privacy.

‘Our condolences are with the family and the family have asked that their privacy be respected during this difficult time,’ said a spokesman for Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

On its website, the Padang Bai Beach Resort describes itself as the ‘ultimate dive resort on the east coast of Bali’.

Garden bungalows start from $65 a night.

Among the tests that are likely to be carried out in the post mortems will be checks to establish if mother and daughter died of a food allergy, such as from eating peanut-laced foods.

Sauces made from peanuts are common throughout Bali.

Peanut allergy usually affects children – but adults can be harmed too.

Eating the nut, or products of it, can cause severe physical symptoms, the most dangerous effect being anaphylaxis, which requires immediate medical attention to avoid unconsciousness or death.

The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America has estimated that peanut allergy is one of the most common causes of food-related death.

-Daily Mail

Readers are required to have a valid Facebook account to comment on this story. We welcome your opinions to allow a healthy debate. We want our readers to be responsible while commenting and to consider how their views could be received by others. Please be polite and do not use swear words or crude or sexual language or defamatory words. Malaysia Edition also holds the right to remove comments that violate the letter or spirit of the general commenting rules.

The views expressed in the contents are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of Malaysia Edition.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Fat burning food